Chair: Patty Mouton
VP of Outreach and Advocacy
Alzheimer’s Orange County
Goal: Reinstitute the Friendly Visitor Program Coalition to support capacity building and increased information-sharing among the existing service programs, resulting in better services to isolated/homebound adults.
Participating Organizations: Alzheimer’s Association – Orange County Chapter, Alzheimer’s Orange County, CalOptima, City of Costa Mesa, City of Fountain Valley, City of Westminster, Council on Aging – Southern California, Laguna Woods Village, OC Office on Aging, Project LIFE, SeniorServ, St. Jude Medical Center
July – September 2017
- 90 entities with visitation programs/ministries have been identified.
- Survey results have been compiled to guide conference planning.
- The “Heart-to-Heart Conference” will take place on February 10, 2017 at Lakeview Senior Center. The conference will be an opportunity to enhance and develop community and ministry-based visitation programs in Orange County.
- A friendly visitor toolkit is being assembled on best practices and resources. It will be released at the conference.
October – December 2017
- The subcommittee has been planning for the Heart to Heart Conference to take place on February 10, 2017 at Lakeview Senior Center for community and faith-based organizations with visitation programs to older adults.
- The subcommittee finalized a 100-page Friendly Visitor Toolkit highlighting best practices and resources for program administrators. The toolkit will be released at the conference.
January – March 2018
- The Heart to Heart Conference took place on February 10, 2018 at Lakeview Senior Center. There were 74 attendees representing 33 nonprofit and faith based organizations that visit people who have become isolated in their homes and other settings (skilled nursing facilities, etc.).
- On March 9, OCSPA launched quarterly meetings for the newly established OC Heart to Heart Visitation Council for friendly visitor programs and visitation ministries. There were 40 attendees. The next meeting will be held on June 8 from 1:30 – 3:30 at the Council on Aging – Southern California.
April – June 2018
- On June 6, 2018, the OC Heart to Heart Visitation Council held its second quarterly meeting for friendly visitor programs and visitation ministries. There were 33 attendees who heard from guest speaker Father Rick Byrum and discussed their programs’ spiritual care practices. The group also decided to formalize Council membership and contribute annual membership dues of $25 per organization. The September meeting will focus on resources and ideas programs can use in the holiday season.
July – September 2018
- On September 14, 2018, the OC Heart to Heart Visitation Council held its third quarterly meeting for friendly visitor programs and visitation ministries. There were 28 attendees who heard from Hoag’s Health Ministries, SeniorServ’s Holiday Program and Council on Aging – Southern California’s SmileMakers’ Guild. There was also facilitated discussion around what activities and ideas programs and ministries can utilize during the holiday season.
- To date, over 50 Friendly Visitor Toolkits have been distributed to local programs and ministries to support capacity building, volunteer training and increased awareness of community resources.
- The subcommittee is currently planning the 2nd Annual OC Heart to Heart Conference. Additional details will be released in November.